ChemVantage - General Chemistry
An Open Education Resource
LTI Support Page
|ChemVantage supports the IMS Global Learning Solutions LTI standard, versions 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0.|
The IMS conformance registration number for ChemVantage is IMSB2C2ce2014W1.
All LTI connections and ChemVantage services are provided free of charge.
LTI version 2.0For LMS platforms that support LTI version 2.0, the system administrator may enter the ChemVantage LTI registration URL:
into the LTI Tool Proxy Registration page of your LMS. Your LMS will automatically negotiate the connection with ChemVantage.
LTI version 1.xIf your LMS supports an older version of the LTI standard, you may obtain a free set of LTI credentials by entering
a consumer key value (any string of characters that uniquely identifies your LMS) into the form below.
Your LTI credentials will be emailed to you immediately.
For further assistance, contact Chuck Wight (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Implementation in Canvas (other LMS platforms may be similar)
- Obtain a set of LTI credentials (see above).
- Login to Canvas as a course Instructor, navigate to Settings, select the Apps tab, and click the blue Add New App button to create a new External Tool. Use the following parameters:
- Name: ChemVantage
- Consumer Key and Shared Secret: (cut/paste values from step 1; do not include any blank spaces)
- Configuration URL (optional): https://www.chemvantage.org/lti_config.xml
- Manual Configuration (optional):
- URL: https://www.chemvantage.org/lti/
- Domain: (leave blank)
- Privacy: Public (ChemVantage will use only email address, instructor full names and student first names)
- Custom Fields: (leave blank)
- Description: ChemVantage is an Open Education Resource for teaching and learning college-level General Chemistry.
- Create a new Canvas assignment with the following recommended parameters:
- Name: (as appropriate, e.g. Quiz - Heat and Enthalpy)
- Points: 10 for quiz or homework; 100 for practice exam
- Submission Type: External Tool
- External Tool URL: https://www.chemvantage.org/lti/ (or select ChemVantage from the list of installed apps)
- After you update the assignment, you should see the ChemVantage Assignment Setup Page (if not, click the assignment link to connect to ChemVantage). Select the appropriate Quiz, Homework or Practice Exam for the assignment.
- The instructor page for the assignment is displayed showing options for viewing a sample assignment, setting the time zone and deadline in ChemVantage, selecting question items to be shown to your students for that assignment, viewing student scores and more.
- Navigate to Settings, Student View to take the assignment and ensure that the score is posted correctly in the Canvas grade book.
Use these links to find general instructions for installing external tools with LTI:Moodle